Now that the weather is getting a little cooler in Brisbane, it’s the perfect time for a nice hearty creamy vegetable soup. This soup base is versatile and you can add whatever vegetables you want, and you can also add some chicken to bulk it up a bit!
This recipe has been in our books for a while now, since it uses fresh produce and has that feel-good comfort of being creamy and delicious. You can even spice it up with a little chilli to help warm you up that little bit more.
Creamy Vegetable Soup Recipe
- Add the olive oil, garlic, diced onions, broccoli, mushrooms, and carrots to your pot and cook on a medium to high heat whilst stirring often. Once the vegetables have softened and the onions are translucent, transfer to another bowl.
- Lower the heat to low, and add the butter to the pot. Once it has melted, add the flour. Once the flour and butter mix has completely joined, add a little dash of milk. Wait for the low heat to heat the milk, and then stir (do not add all the milk at once, and do not stir before the milk heats, as it will cause lumps). Repeat this process of adding a little milk, heating, and mixing in until you’ve used all the milk.
- Once you’ve used all your milk, add your chicken or vegetable stock. Increase heat to medium to high until simmering, then lower the heat again to keep it on a steady simmer.
- Once heated, add your vegetable mix from earlier. Cook on a simmer for 30-60 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste, add fresh herbs, and serve!